Getting Medicare is a major milestone. As your insurance agent, Professional Insurance Services wants to help you understand what Medicare is and what to consider when choosing the plan that’s right for you.
Medicare is the federal health insurance program for:
- People who are 65 or older
- Certain younger people with disabilities
- People with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant, sometimes called ESRD)
With Medicare, you have options in how you get your coverage. Once you enroll, you’ll need to decide how you’ll get your Medicare coverage. The 2 main ways are Original Medicare or Medicare Advantage. When choosing which coverage is right for you, consider:
- Original Medicare: You pay a monthly Part B premium, and any copayments, coinsurances, and deductibles. There’s no limit to how much you can pay out of pocket, but you can buy a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy to help.
- Medicare Advantage: You pay the monthly Part B premium plus the plan’s premium (if they have one). You also pay any copayments, coinsurances, and deductibles, but once you reach the plan’s yearly maximum, you’ll pay nothing for health services for the rest of the year.
- Original Medicare: Covers services and supplies in hospitals, doctors’ offices, and other health care settings under Part A (Hospital Insurance) or Part B (Medical Insurance). You can add drug coverage by joining a Medicare drug plan.
- Medicare Advantage Plans: Must cover all services and supplies that Original Medicare covers and most include drug coverage. They may also have extra benefits like dental or vision.
Doctor and hospital choice
- Original Medicare: You can go to any hospital and use any doctor that accepts Medicare.
- Medicare Advantage: You may need to use doctors and hospitals in that plan’s network.
Professional Insurance Services is an independent insurance agent located in Asheboro and Clinton, North Carolina. Call us at Asheboro: (336) 625-8600 or Clinton: (910) 592-2224 or visit our website at https://proinsurancenc.com/medicare-supplements/ to discuss your coverage options.